There are many social benefits that the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration offers to Overseas Filipino Workers around the world. They provide assistance to OFWs and their qualified beneficiaries in case of emergency and other distressing situations. The OWWA services include disability, death, and healthcare benefits as well as family welfare assistance to registered members.
Moreover, OWWA offers financial assistance to OFW dependents in case their family member suffers total disability or death during employment. Qualified dependents include parents, siblings, spouses, and children of the deceased OFW. OWWA also protects the welfare of OFWs by giving them beneficial services. To enjoy these social services and benefits, OFWs need to pay a membership fee of $25 to become an OWWA member.
What Are the OWWA Social Benefits
OWWA members and their eligible dependents can receive the following social benefits:
Supplemental Medical Assistance for OFWs
Also known as MEDplus, Supplemental Medical Assistance is available for PhilHealth and active OWWA members who need hospitalization due to a medical condition or disease developed at their job site or while staying in the Philippines. This medical assistance program helps members pay their medical bills which can amount to Php 50,000 based on the case rate system of PhilHealth.
This financial assistance is exclusive to active OWWA members with PhilHealth memberships. The requirements include:
- For the family of the OFW currently working abroad, they need to provide a Special Power of Attorney with notarization and executed by the OFW
- If claiming social benefits for the deceased OFW, dependents need to provide a death certificate, marriage certificate, or PSA-issued birth certificate of the NOK-claimant
- Medical certificate
- Valid ID, passport, and one passport-sized photo
- OFW Membership Record
- Member Data Record issued by PhilHealth
Disability and Dismemberment
For injuries due to an accident abroad, OWWA members can claim disability or dismemberment benefits which can amount to Php 100,000 depending on the severity of the injury. This social benefit is exclusive to active OWWA members that figured in an accident that led to disability or dismemberment. The requirements are as follows:
- For seafarer, a Master’s Report or Accident Report
- Valid ID for an authorized claimant
- Seaman’s Identification Record Book or passport
- English-translated Foreign Medical Certificate
- For authorized claimant, OFW’s Authorization Letter with a valid ID
- Medical Certificate indicating the procedure or examination done by a Philippine-based doctor
- One copy of the 1×1 photo
- OFW Membership Record
Welfare Assistance Program
This social program supports both active and non-active OWWA members and their dependents who don’t qualify for the social services that OWWA offers. The main purpose is to provide OFWs with financial assistance during calamities, bereavement, disability, medical, and relief needs. OFW members and their eligible dependents can qualify for the Welfare Assistance Program.
The requirements depend on which welfare assistance you are applying for, but here are some common documents you need to provide:
- Valid ID
- Medical Certificate or Result of the examination procedure
- Accident or police report
- Special Power of Attorney for non-OFW claimants
- Authorization Letter
- Barangay Certificate for emergency or disaster in the local residence
- Certification for victims of a fire
- Working visa, termination of the contract, or any proof of displacement
- Certification issued by POLO or OWWA
Death and Burial
The death benefit is given to the surviving family of the deceased OFW who is an active OWWA member at the time of his death. In case of natural death, qualified beneficiaries will receive up to Php 100,000, while accidental death entitles the beneficiary to an amount of Php 200,000. In terms of burial gratuity, the eligible dependents of the deceased OFW will get Php 20,000 burial grant for the OFW’s proper burial and other needs.
Death and burial benefits are open to eligible dependents of departed OFWs including their children. The requirements to claim this OWWA social benefit are:
- Affidavit of Undertaking from the claimant
- Official Receipt of funeral payment and burial permit
- Seaman’s Identification Record Book or valid passport
- OFW Membership Record
- Death Certificate, or police or accident report
- Proof of relationship to OFW such as OFW CENOMAR, Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, or other related documents
- Valid IDs and ID picture of the claimant
Video: OWWA Social Benefits Program Para Sa OFWs
In this video, you will learn about the social benefits program that the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration provides to OFWs and their families in case something happens to them.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are frequently asked questions and the answers you need to know when applying for OWWA social benefits:
1. What are the social benefits that OWWA offers to OFWs?
The OWWA Social Benefits for eligible OFWs include Welfare Assistance Program, Supplementary Medical Assistance, Disability and Dismemberment, and Death and Burial.
2. What are the benefits of the Welfare Assistance Program?
The benefits included in the Welfare Assistance Program are bereavement assistance, calamity assistance, medical assistance, and relief assistance.
3. What is covered in death assistance?
Death benefits include financial assistance of Php 100,000 for natural death and Php 200,000 for accidental death.
4. What do eligible beneficiaries get from disability and dismemberment assistance?
OWWA members can get Php 50,000 financial assistance for partial disability under the disability and dismemberment benefit, and Php 100,000 for total permanent disability.
5. What is covered in the Supplemental Medical Assistance or MEDplus for OFWs?
Supplemental Medical Assistance offers cash relief for OFWs who need medical assistance in paying off hospital bills. This is equal to PhilHealth benefits according to the case rate system. However, it should not exceed Php 50,000 per member.
Knowing the OWWA social benefits gives Overseas Filipino Workers immediate relief in case of an emergency. It also gives them peace of mind knowing that their families will be taken care of in the event something happens to them abroad. Make sure to secure all the requirements before claiming these social benefits offered by OWWA.