Every Filipino family wanted to have a better life and most of us think that working abroad will give us more opportunities than working in the Philippines. There are people who are lucky enough to find an employer that will hire them directly and send them to their host country. But for those who want to find a job abroad but don’t know where to start, this article will give you a step-by-step process on how to find a job.
The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) created a website for Filipino workers who work and want to work abroad. It is accessible to anyone whenever and wherever they are and it is also the safest way as all recruitment agencies and job orders listed on the website are legitimate and approved by the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW).
In general, an applicant must be 18 years old and above and physically fit. Other qualifications depend on the job, host country, and employers’ needs. But before applying, an applicant must also be aware of their mental and emotional state because working far from family and friends, adjusting to a new culture, and learning a new language are very difficult and may take a toll on someone’s overall health. If you are determined and want to explore, here’s the list of basic requirements needed to apply:
- Two (2) pieces of 2×2 pictures
- Email address
- Medical certificate (if needed)
- Certificate of employment (at least 2 years of experience)
- NSO Marriage Contract (for married applicants)
- PEOS Certificate
- Postgraduate diploma (if applicable)
- PRC License and Board Exam Rating (if applicable)
- PSA Birth Certificate
- Training Certificates from TESDA or TESDA-accredited centers
- Transcript of Records and diploma – authenticated by DepED or CHED
- Certification from National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (for Muslim applicants)
- The “Active Job Orders” are listed and accumulated for the past two years from the licensed recruitment agencies. The POEA will deduct the number of workers whose documents were already submitted for processing.
- Only employers and recruitment agencies can cancel the job orders.
- The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) cannot guarantee that the job vacancies listed are still open. You must verify with the agency if the job is still active or not.
Job Search via the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) Website
The DMW website contains important information and announcements from the Philippine government, It also contains online seminars, forums, and other information needed to work abroad. One of its features is job search hiring for Filipino workers. The website is user-friendly and easy to access. Here’s a step-by-step process on how to search for a job.
Step 1: Go to the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) website at www.dmv.gov.ph.
Step 2: Click the “APPROVED JOB ORDERS”.
Step 3: Scroll down and click the “Job Site” to enter the country you want to work in.
Step 4: Check the list of Job Orders and other information such as job site, name of agency, principal, job class, position, job order balance, date approved, and date as of.
Recruitment Agency License
The recruitment agency must have a license before it can recruit an applicant to work abroad. It is a necessary document to make sure that the manpower agency is legitimate and that the Filipino workers are in safe hands. Here’s how to check a recruitment agency license via the DMW website.
Step 1: Go to the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) website at www.dmv.gov.ph.
Step 2: Click the “LICENSED RECRUITMENT AGENCIES”.
Step 3: Type the name of the agency and click submit.
Step 4: Check the list of agencies and other information such as classification, status, status date, expiration date, and other details.
Getting Ready for a Job Offer
Now that we know how to search for a job and check the license of the recruitment agency, we are now ready to learn how to get a better chance of getting a job offer. The first thing to do is to gather all the documents needed to apply and make sure that they are all authenticated and certified. Here are the things you can do to get a job offer from employers and recruitment agencies:
- After preparing the basic requirements listed above in this article, get in touch with the recruitment agency to ask if there are other documents, tests, and training needed to qualify for the job order.
- After learning about the qualification, revise your resume and create a portfolio that will highlight your skills and experiences.
- Do research regarding the work ethics, culture, and custom of your soon-to-be employers to have a higher chance of acing the interview.
- Some employers look for applicants who can speak their language. So learning it will give you an advantage.
- Send all the documents required by the agency and wait for their response.
Accepting a Job Offer
After sending all your documents and acing the interview with the agency and employers, you will be offered a job with them. Once it happens, here’s the step-by-step guide on what to do:
Step 1: When getting a job offer, you will receive a contract stating all the terms and conditions that include, duties and responsibilities, as well as salary and benefits. Read the contract carefully and ask questions if there are things you don’t understand or are not clear. This is to ensure that you truly understand the documents you are about to sign.
Step 2: After signing the contract, your recruitment agency will arrange an orientation on how to work abroad in compliance with POEA regulations.
Step 3: Comply with the POEA requirements by sending them all the required documents such as passport, NBI clearance, and medical certificate (the list of documents is listed above this article).
Step 4: The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) or Overseas WorkersWelfare Administration (OWWA) provides Pre-Employment Orientation Seminars and Pre-Departure Orientation Seminars that will give you information about the laws and rights of overseas workers. These are required seminars that you need to attend.
Step 5: Your agency will process all your documents and VISA. Once it’s done, you can now travel to your host country. Don’t forget to send an update to your agency once you settled in and let them know you are safe.
Step 6: Stay connected to your recruitment agency. Give them updates regarding your work to ensure your safety.
Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) Website Reminders
The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) wants to remind all Filipino workers who use the DMW website the following:
- To avoid scammers and human traffickers, the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) HIGHLY encourages Filipino workers to use their website to avoid it. All recruitment agencies registered in POEA have been through a thorough process by them to make sure they are legal.
- Applicants must check the recruitment agency’s license on the website.
- Job fairs events are also posted on the website for applicants from LGU, PESO, or DOLE offices.
Video: POEA: Paano Malaman Online Kung Legal o Licensed Ang Recruitment Agency Gamit ang Mobile?
If you are doubting a recruitment agency, here’s a visual step-by-step process on how to check its legality by MeRaquel.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) to approve a job?
If the applicant finishes phase 1, he or she needs to wait for 3-7 working days for DMW’s approval.
How will I know if the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) approved my job application?
To check whether the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) approves your job application or not, you can log in to your POPS-BaM account. You can also call them at 8-722-1144, 8-722-1155, 1348 (One Repatriation Center) or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Can I walk in at the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW)?
The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) strongly recommend for applicants to book an appointment before going to their office. You can book an appointment by registering in POPS-BaM account.
Can I process direct hire in the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW)?
Yes. You have to create an account in POPS-BaM and check the requirements and process on how to apply for direct hire.
In the past, applying for a job abroad is physically, mentally, and financially draining. You have to endure the traffic and the long queue just to ask for the information you need. You also need to gather all the requirements they need and we all know that it is not free. Every piece of paper and processing that piece of paper cost money, not to mention and fare you need to spend for the commute. Good thing the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) wanted to make the process easier for applicants. They created https://www.dmw.gov.ph/ to make sure all the information is accessible to all Filipinos anywhere and anytime.
This website provides information about the Philippine government’s plan for all Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), the benefits and programs they can enjoy, and most importantly, it will keep you away from scammers and human traffickers.